Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Favorite Place On-Campus


I did not discover my favorite place at TCU until I was one year away from saying good-bye to college. Even though it took me a long time to to stumble upon the place the fills me with a peaceful serenity in the midst of a college campus, I am sure thankful I finally did.

One Saturday after I decided I wanted to give tennis a shot, so I went to Academy and bought a pink racket and matching pink tennis balls. I needed a court to play on, so I went online and found the tennis courts at TCU-the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center. I picked up my boyfriend and we drove over to the courts to duel(even though neither of us were very good). I had driven by the entry-way dozens of times, but always in a rush, never stopped to see what the tennis center had to offer.

I pulled into an empty spot and parked my car--the parking lot was pretty much empty. I got out of my car, picked up my new racket, tennis balls and a water bottle and started walking up to the entry-way. I paused for a moment and looked around me, astonished by the beauty of the tennis center and the nature around it.

The entire center is surrounded by different shades of lucious green trees, which hide the 22 courts at the heart of the center. I had no idea the area was so large and the landscape was so beautiful. The large, lucious trees line the walkway to the center entrance and also surround the entire court, making it feel as if you are in a secluded pocket--far way from any university.

A black fence lies just on the ouside of the courts, but is disquished by a perfectly trimmed green hedge. The grass was freshly cut and as green as a carpet of meadow. It had rained the evening before, so the trees and grass let off an aroma filled with fresh dew, something I had not smelt in a long time. the courts sink down into a basin--lower than the parking lot, the street and even the trees outlining the center.The wind blew, and the trees ruffled in the wind--I could not hear the cars driving on the nearby street or even the yells of the varsity women's tennis team who were practicing a couple hundred feet away. The moment was serene.

Everything from the landscape, to the purple courts looks flawless. I walked down the sidewalk, each step brought me closer to the courts and the small white, brick entry way the leads you into a central walkway between the courts. My day of playing tennis had turned into something so much more, I found a place that truly surprised and enticed me. I felt envious of the tennis players who came to the courts everyday to practice and probably do not even realize the beauty that surrounds them--to them the courts mean hard work, but to me, the courts are a gem hidden in the trees of TCU.

No comments:

Post a Comment